As I was doing some housekeeping here on Globe Tracer, I came across my 26th Birthday Goal List. Anyone who knows me must be aware that I’m semi-obsessed with lists (got my bucket list, things I will miss from Costa Rica list here) so why not find another reason to make a new list? What has my process been on this said Birthday list?
1. Be satisfied being single. Status: U. I’m bad at being single. Or completely unattached. I don’t really have any excuse besides I hate being lonely! #don’tjudgeme
2. Pray daily. Status: NI. Most of the time I manage to wake up and half sleep I say ‘Thank You God’ acknowledging the fact that I’m up to see another day, and that I woke up in my right mind. I would like to extend these sessions to have a more meaningful conversation, though, but maybe mornings are not the ideal time since I’m barely there.
3. Enjoy being alone with my thoughts. Status: NI. I’m sure God is having a good laugh right now, because he would put me in my own apartment just so that I’m forced to deal with my worst enemy.
4. Maintain better eating habits. Status: S. I do cook more than ever (although I dislike cooking for myself) so the fact that I’m not eating out as much as I used to makes me feel good.
5. Flirt more. Status: NI. Someone should write a good book on this art, because it eludes me.
6. Show my body off more, while I still got it! Status: S. I’m trying, but if people want to label me as conservative, I’ll be that too.
7. Get back into school and envisualize my new career! Status: S. Back in school, can’t wait to start makin’ some monies!
8. Keep positive people around me. Status: NI. As far as physically, it’s been hard to make new friends. But I still keep in contact with folks who inspire me!
9. Read a new book every month. Status: S. One book a month is very ambitious, especially with a full course-load. Currently I’m reading 3 books: Native Son by Richard Wright, Falling from Grace by S.L. Naeole and Look at Me by Jennifer Egan. I like to read different genres and alternate depending on my mood.
10. Connect with people in more meaningful ways. (online and off) Status: S. In the online world, it’s been great. Offline, needs improvement.
11. Compliment women in public (Black women do more hating than complimenting!) Status: NI. I don’t see many Black women here, but I will attempt being friendlier in general to women.
12. Stop over-analyzing. Status: NI. I don’t even think it’s realistic goal when this is so second-nature.
13. Be more spontaneous. Status: S. I had duck liver in Montreal, if that’s not exciting, I don’t know what is.
14. Take a notepad with me to most places. Status: S. I’m always with a bookbag, more than likely there’s paper in there.
15. Learn how to be present in wherever I’m at. Status: S. I am very present here. Maybe I should make this one: stop complainin’ about where I’m at! It’s not forever!
16. Be okay with leaving my cell phone at home. Status: S. I’m always okay with this one. I can’t deny though…if someone is not looking for me or I don’t have at least 7 missed calls, I tend to feel like no one cared.
17. Learn a new dish from my grandmother. Status: S. I did learn a new way to make chicken, haven’t tried it yet though!
18. Take a solo trip. Status: S. Bocas Del Toro, Panama!
9. Smile more. Status: NI. It’s too cold to smile here.
20. Be more approachable. Status: NI. Apparently, smiling more helps with this one.
21. Listen more. Status: S. I am doing much better, since I am not interrupting people as much.
22. Expand my playlist on my MP3 player. Status: NI. This would require me having someone to
steal borrow music from.
23. Don’t be afraid to voice my religious beliefs. Status: N/A. I haven’t really been in the forum yet where I’ve been compelled to share my religious beliefs. I try to live as a Christian, as opposed to wearing the title on my sleeve.
24. Find activities that I enjoy to keep me in shape. Status: U. See #19.
25. Keep in touch with family members outside of FB and Twitter. Status: S. I find that I want to keep in touch with people more than they want to keep in touch with me!
26. Wear lingerie for myself! Status: S. I stocked up real good in Costa Rica, so I’m good for a while.
Congratulations, you’ve made it to the end! (or not!)
Needs Improvement: 9
List or no list, God loves me too much to keep me the same.Thank Him for that!
The non-smiling, duck liver trying, reading three books at once, textbook toting, over-analyzer.
How often do you make lists and forget to follow up with them? Isn’t it more fun just to speak them into the universe and hope something happens?